- 6 tablespoons butter, softened (not melted. It can be substituted for an equal amount of oil.)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup normal sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Beat butter, brown sugar and normal sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy (electric mixer is best, beat on medium).
- Crack the egg in a separate bowl and add the vanilla. Beat and incorporate into the sugar mixture.
- Stir together flour and baking soda in another bowl. Gradually blend it into the butter mixture. When it’s mixed well, put the mixer aside and gradually add the chocolate chips, incorporating with a spatula.
- Shape and bake into ONE of the three versions below. The dough is enough for one version only.
Giant Cookie: Prepare the dough. Line a 12-inch round pizza pan with foil. Leaving two-inch space all around, pat the dough evenly onto the foil in a thin layer. Bake for 15 minutes. Let it set for at least 10 minutes. Cut into slices. Makes one giant cookie. (If there’s any dough left over you can (a) make more cookies (b) eat it raw like I do. (Maybe Google tells you that it’s bad; I don’t know about that because we’ve been eating raw batter and dough all our lives).
Medium-sized cookies: Prepare dough. On wax paper, shape into 2 rolls, 1 and 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap in wax paper; wrap again with plastic wrap. Refrigerate several hours Remove rolls and remove wrapping. With a sharp knife, cut into 1/4 inch slices (6mm). Place on ungreased cookie sheet or foil about 3 inches apart. Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Cool completely. Makes 30 cookies.
TOP TIP: These cookies are awesome with this chocolate custard!